Monday, July 21, 2014

Refrigerator Pickles

I have been playing around with pickles lately...  **How do you continue writing after a statement like that?** 

Basically, I have been making pickles because they are delicious.  Last time I bought some pickles they were a lot sweeter than I wanted them to be.  The time before that there was too much garlic.  Getting annoyed that I didn't like the pickles I was getting I decided to make my own.  Looking at a simple recipe I threw something together that I like and hopefully you will too.



Pickled Cucumbers

Ingredients

  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, to taste preference
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 5 mini cucumbers, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Dill, green peppers, garlic, etc. to taste
Instructions
  1. Place sliced cucumbers, onions, garlic, green peppers (or any combination thereof) in a jar.
  2. Combine sugar, vinegar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil making sure to fully dissolve the sugar.  Pour over the sliced vegetables.  Add fresh dill to taste, if desired.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  Store in the refrigerator.


Before any of you go off on me - yes, I know that this isn't the best way to make pickles.  This is a way that I use when I want to make them quickly.  Last minute sort of deal.  There are probably better ways to pickle, but try this.  You may like it.  If not...no harm, no foul.

As always, until next time....
Happy Snacking!

Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment