Sunday, January 1, 2012

Green Tea-Mango Shortbread Cookies

You are in for a treat this week. It is not often that I share my family's or my own recipes. However, I decided to share with you a recipe that I am currently working on. (Oh, no! I have to make these cookies over and over until they are just right.) It is truly a rough life I lead.

Anyway, this is just a general recipe as it isn't solidified into how I like to make it just yet. I was inspired to make it by the tea I was drinking one day. Obviously it was a mango green tea and I was obsessed with cookies at the time. Working with mango which can get very juicy, and shortbread, which is essentially just butter, can get very tricky. Right now I am trying out variations of mixing in the mango straight into the cookie batter and a thumbprint shortbread with a mango compote.

The first time I made these cookies I just lightly chopped the mango and mixed it directly into the cookie batter and it turned out well. The second time that I made these cookies I put the mango into a food processor and it dulled out the green tea flavor because there was a lot of juice. Because I think that I am going to be solidifying the recipe as a thumbprint with the mango compote I will give you the recipe with the mango mixed it, but also feel free to play around with it.

The Recipe

Basic Shortbread Recipe
  • 1/2 pound (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature 
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla and mix. 
  2. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. 
  3. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and bring everything together with your hands. Divide dough into two pieces and flatten slightly. Wrap each piece in plastic and chill OR prepare the shortbread cookie recipe below. 

Green Tea-Mango Shortbread Cookies

  • 2 Tbs matcha powder 
  • 1 cup chopped mango (about one whole mango) 
  • Ingredients from above Basic Shortbread recipe

  1. Add matcha (green tea) powder with the flour and salt and sift all ingredients together. 
  2. As dough starts to come together add the chopped mango to the batter and lightly mix it enough to incorporate it into the batter, but not enough that it releases all of it's juices into the batter. 
  3. Roll shortbread into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with your palm. 
  4. Chill for 30 minutes. 
  5. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for about 8-10 minutes and golden on the bottoms. 

Makes about 2 dozen small shortbread.


This is just intended to give you something to play with, as this by no means a solid recipe...YET! Enjoy, none-the-less.

Until next time...
Happy Snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment